Subject to adequate support and not conflicting with formal Training, Practice Sailing Sessions will be available from 18:30 to 20.00 on Tuesday evenings from early June to the end of August and from 10.30 to 12.00 on Saturday mornings during July and August. Precise dates and times are published in the Programme.
The clubhouse will open at least 30 minutes before sailing is to take place.
Although aimed primarily at Cadets and Novices, this will provide an opportunity for anyone that fancies going for a gentle sail with Patrol Boat cover and, if required and available, guidance from experienced sailors or qualified instructors.
Club Boats are available for these sessions subject to the normal rules on a first come first basis (or pre-booking), but formal Training will always have priority.
In general, the conditions for sailing to take place will be:
- A Coordinator must be present supported by a minimum of 4 parents and/or adult club members to man the patrol boat and assist with rigging, launching and recovery.
- The Coordinator is to be be an RYA Senior Instructor/Dinghy instructor or a Seafarers Sailing Club Committee Member/Officer of the Day. The Coordinator may choose to be in the Patrol Boat, but in these circumstances he/she must be in communication with the shore via suitable radio communications.
- The Coordinator will make the decision on whether the session will go ahead based upon there being at least three boats ready to sail and the wind not exceeding Force 4.
- Members < 18 yrs to have parent's/guardian's authorisation in WebCollect.
- Non-members are welcome to have a try sail on these occasions, but must be signed into the Visitor's Book as normal.
- Non-members < 18 yrs must be in possession of a signed parent's/guardian's authorisation form.
- Cadet members under the age of 11 must have a parent or responsible adult present either on shore, sailing or helping.
No need to book; just turn up to sail or to help out!
If you would like to volunteer to help with these sessions, please add your details to the list that will be available in the clubhouse.
The above information is taken from SOP Section 10 where you will also find guidance notes for the Coordinator, information on Emergency procedures an example of a 'Signing In' sheet.
Last updated 13:51 on 11 July 2019