You will find details of future Craft Corners in the Social Programme/Craft Corners.
At about the time that husband, Clive, was elected Commodore of Seafarers, Gill Dakin decided to organise some craft workshops.
The invitation to the first session, sent out at the beginning of March 2013, spelled out Gill's aims:
We would like to invite anyone with hobbies/skill, or a general interest, in craft to come and join us for a couple of hours. We will be meeting every Saturday throughout the sailing season.
This is a new social venture; the sessions will evolve as we go along. We will bring various craft/hobby items to share with others or to complete whilst enjoying company and a coffee. We have a wealth of talent within our sailing club. It would be great if a few people felt happy to demonstrate their craft so that we can all have a taste of something new.
There will be an area set up to exchange books. We will have a small kitty to provide snacks and drinks.
The First Five Years
It soon became clear that every Saturday was a little ambitious. However, for the following five years there was a Craft Corner session approximately once every month throughout the sailing season. By the end of the 2017 season there had been a total of 37 sessions enjoyed by a varied but enthusiastic clientele. For a summary of the 37 sessions, click here.
At the end of 2017, Gill Dakin decided to hand over the reins. Her initiative, and hard work, meant there was strong support for the Craft Corner to continue. Viv Rance, our Social Secretary, took over the role of organising the sessions.
The group now meets thoughout the year usually at the beginning of each month. The sessions are either a 'free activity' or a workshop led by a volunteer or an invited professional. Donations to cover tea and coffee are £1 for 'free activity' sessions and £2 for a workshop session to also cover the cost of materials.
Craft Corners Held in 2018
- Sunday 14 January - 1pm to 3pm - free activity session
- Saturday 3 February - 1pm to 3pm - free activity session
- Sunday 4 March - 1pm to 3pm - free activity session
- Saturday 7 April - 2pm to 4pm - a Surprise Craft Afternoon with John Hamon
- Saturday 5 May - 2pm to 4pm - free activity session
- Saturday 9 June - 2pm to 4pm - free activity session
- Sunday 1 July - 1pm to 3pm - free activity session
- Saturday 4 August - 2pm to 4pm - Angela Banks workshop titled little books and boxes
- Saturday 8 September - 2pm to 4pm - free activity session
- Saturday 6 October - 2pm to 4pm - Kathy Warwick workshop on Christmas Decorations
- Saturday 13 October - 1pm to about 4pm - an opportunity for our group to show off their items and for other members to do some Christmas shopping
- Sunday 4 November - 1pm to 3pm - a workshop provided by local artist Elaine Reed
- Sunday 2 December - 1pm to 3pm - free activity
The Current Season
To see the Craft Corners scheduled for this season, click here.
If you have any queries, please contact Viv Rance.
Last updated 22:25 on 4 June 2019